Department of History Estd. 1936
The Department which started only with three students in 1936 has over the years taken a big leap, attracting students not only from North East India but from other parts of India . Our students have been in the forefront in many academic pursuits and career not only in the field of history , but also in other fields such as academics,administration,judiciary, and the corporate world.
- To impart knowledge to the students on the subject and develop the skill of research and critical approach to new studies and findings about the subject .
- To guide and provide learning experience in order to tap the hidden talents and develop leadership role and organization qualities among the students .
- To equip students with employable knowledge and skills through Career Counselling Programmes
- To encourage students initiative in various activities and foster new perspective of understanding History as a subject
The Department perceives a bright future for the young minds through the years of their sojourn in the Department and in the College . The Department's vision is to prepare the students for a well placed life after graduating from the College.
PROGRAMME OUTCOME AND COURSE OUTCOME (Click Here)
- The Department organised the screening of an animated film on U Tirot Sing Syiem"U Syiem" on the 19th July 2018 to commemorate the death anniversary of one of the freedom fighters from the Khasi Hills for the History Political Science and Khasi Honours students.
- Dr. A.M.Shangpliang accompanied by the V Semester Honours students attended the Guest lecture on the 1st September 2018 in St. Edmund College on Social and Technological Development in Contemporary world with special reference to Communication Revolution. The lecture was delivered by Prof. Sanjeev Kakoti Asst. Prof. IIM Shillong.
- The Editorial Board for the Department Magazine "The Quest" was formed, Dr.A.M.Shangpliang and students are members of the board.
- V-Semester Honours students accompanied by Dr.M.Jyrwa attended a one day seminar on "Revisiting The Political History of North East India" organised by the Department of Political Science and History Sankardev College on the 22nd November 2018.
- A field trip was organised to Cherrapunjee on the 6th December 2018 in connection with the ongoing Students' Project
- A Career Guidance Programme was organized for the History Honours students on the 20th of March2019.Mr Sunny Mawlong Director Immanuel Coaching Academy and Hundredfold Academy as a Resource Person highlighted on the the different career options available for students graduating with History as an Honours subject
- The VI Semester students accompanied by MsJ.H.Buam and Dr M.Jyrwa participated in a One Day Seminar organized by the IQAC,Lady Keane College in collaboration with INTACH,Meghalaya Chapter and Meghalaya Rural Tourism Forum on the topic Preservation and Conservation of Historical and Cultural Heritage of Sohra on the 26th of March ,2019 at the Jiva Resort, Cherrapunjee
- Guest lectures Inter Department held on the 29th, 30th and 31st of March 2022 (Click here to download)