It all began in 1932 when, inspired by their own vision, Shri. Atulananda Das, IFS, Retd Deputy Conservator of Forest, Assam, and Rai Bahadur Jatindra Nath Chakravarty, the then Director of Agriculture, Assam realized the need for establishing an educational centre at Shillong to cater exclusively for the growing needs of female education at the secondary and collegiate level.
Shri. Atulananda Das
Shri Rai Bahadur Jatindra Nath Chakravarty
It was at their initiatives that the School wing commenced its journey in 1932 at Jail Road, Shillong. The college wing named as Shillong Girls' Intermediate College started functioning at Grove Side premises in 1935 offering Intermediate Arts course. Eventually another accommodation at 'Sanat Kutir' was also rented for the purpose of using it as the hostel. We take pride to note that though the school happened to be the Second Girls' School in the city of Shillong, the college was the first girls' college not only in Shillong, but also in the entire North-East India.
"Grove side" situated opposite State Central Library
Sanat Kutir in Laban
School & College building, 1937
In the year 1938 a Board of Trustees was formed termed as the Governing Body of Lady Keane Girls High School and College, whose objectives were "To impart secondary and collegiate education to women and to do everything necessary and legitimate for the spread of liberal education in all branches, irrespective of caste, creed, religion or nationality and to carry on, fulfill and attain all that is near and akin to the object and purpose as fore said".
The Trust also laid down (vide rule 17) "An Endeavour shall be made to secure the services of ladies to the extent of at least half of the total number of members and as far as possible being representative of different communities".
In 1938, the college was affiliated to the Calcutta University. And in 1948, the college became affiliated to the Gauhati university. Since 1973, when the North Eastern Hill University was founded, the college became affiliated to NEHU and continues to remain as one of its prized affiliated colleges till date.
PRINCIPALS -The Torch Bearers
Shri. Acharya Brojo Sundar Roy
Founder Principal of the college (1935-1940)
Retired as Professor from City College Calcutta.
Shri. Acharya Brojo Sundar Roy was a veteran educationist, a devoted teacher and a renowned writer. When he joined, the college was offering only three subjects- English, History and Philosophy in the Intermediate level. He initiated the Under Graduate course and included subjects like Bengali, Sanskrit, Assamese and Economics.
Smt. Swarna Kumari Roy Choudhury
Smt. S. K. Roy Chowdhury took over the reigns of the college from Acharya Brojo Sundar Roy in 1940. During her tenure, Mathematics and Khasi were added in the course of studies. In 1944, Smti Roy Chowdhury tendered her resignation and left the college.
Smti. Usha Bhattacharyya
Smti. Usha Bhattacharyya joined the college as a Lecturer in Dep’t. Of Philosophy in 1937 and took over as the Principal in the year 1944. Smti Bhattacharyya, went all out to ensure a speedy growth and development of the college. It was her unrelenting efforts and persuasions that ensured the college of a regular inflow of Government grants.
It was due to her untiring efforts that the college, besides introducing new subjects of study in the already existing stream, could introduce science as a regular stream of study at its premises. In order to help working women pursue their higher studies, she opened a night section at the college.
An excellent scholar, a fine orator and as on date the longest serving Principal of the college, Smti. Bhattacharyya was an earnest ambassador of Indian Culture, she strived hard to instill in students a spirit of nationality. It was she who gave the college its anthem. It indeed goes to her credit that, in a span of 33 years, Smti. Bhattacharyya could transform a fledgling institute into a premier center of learning in the country.
Ms. Angel Martha Marbaniang
Ms. A.M. Marbaniang, who joined the college as a Lecturer in Deptt. Of Education in 1966 took over the reins of the college as its Principal in 1978. During her 26 years of service, Madam Marbaniang, through her dedicated service, tried to lift the college to newer heights of excellence. Her inclination for welfare measures saw the establishment of the Lady Keane College Employees’ Welfare Fund. It was during her tenure that the GLIC (Group linked Insurance Scheme) was first introduced at the college. She lent her whole hearted support for the formation of the LKC Employees’ Mutual Benefit Cooperative Society, that celebrated its silver jubilee in 2002. She also introduced the Departments of Sociology and Bio-Chemistry. The society continues till date to be a story of exemplary success, coming to the help of everyone, who sought its support.
Dr. Mrs. Chrysanthemum Massar
Principal (2006- 2021)
Dr. Massar joined the College as a Lecturer in the Department of Botany on 25th October, 1983 against a lien vacancy and her regularisation of appointment took effect from 16th February 1987. After her 23 years of teaching, Dr. Massar took over as the Principal of the College on 29th June, 2006.
Under her able leadership and vision to promote quality education and academic excellence, the professional subject of Computer Science was introduced in the year 2009, where a new building (Academic Block V) was added during the introduction of the course, where it is functioning till date. With a view to make the students and staff learn more in IT technology, a Professional Course in Bachelor of Computer Applications was introduced in 2019. To cater to jobs, an important aspect of economic growth and the development of a nation, a Four-Year Professional Course in Tourism and Travel Management started in 2017.
During her tenure the College was accredited thrice by the National Accreditation and Assessment Council, Bengaluru, Karnataka. Since her joining as Head of the Institution various enrichment programmes like career and skilled oriented courses, Ad-on Courses, faculty development and staff training programmes have been introduced with the latest infrastructure and facilities for the students and staff. To cater to the needs for medical aid, she set up a Medical Care Unit. The Indoor Stadium was also built to create a cohesive student community. Innovative Units that are environmental conscious centric were set up, viz Paper Recycling, Vermicompost, ETP (Effluent treatment Plant) and Segregation of waste. The Platinum Jubilee Annexe in the college premises, has been assigned to the hostel and College.
As an active and dynamic individual, Dr. Massar is a recipient of awards, participated in various orientation programmes, workshops, seminars, conferences and has presented papers at different levels. To enrich herself in learning more in educational platform and research, she has completed a project and has various research publications. She is also a member of various educational bodies.
Dr. Massar’s achievements are second only to her incredible leadership & impact on the lives of her students and the team she leads.
Dran Khlur Baiaineh Mukhim
M.Sc (Gold medalist), Ph.D
Principal( Jan 2022 onwards)
Dr Khlur Mukhim had been teaching in various institutions at different times after obtaining his B.Sc degree. He also had brief stints at the Nongkrem High School and the Tura Government College before he joined the Zoology Department of Lady Keane College in 1995. After over two decades of service in the same Department, he took over as the new Principal of the College in January 2022.
He completed both his Pre-University and BSc courses from St Edmund’s College, Shillong, obtained his M.Sc degree from North-Eastern Hill University, and Ph.D from Gauhati University. During his many years of research work in several fields, he has a good track record of research success with multiple papers in renowned international science journals. He had personally collected over 20 new species of various animals which were studied, described severally with some national and international co-authors, and published. Caving and cave biodiversity have been overwhelmingly his personal passion. Besides biology and biodiversity, his personal impassioned fields include Khasi and English literatures, history and yogic science.
Dr Khlur Mukhim has special interest in museums for which he had visited various national and international museums including the Indian Museum, Kolkata (India); Smithsonian Museums, Washington, DC (USA); Victoria & Albert Museum, London (UK); and Grigore Antipa Museum of Natural History, Bucharest (Romania). He was also instrumental in initiating the collaborative work in 2014 between his College and the Grigore Antipa Museum of Natural History of Romania that has made fructuous visits between the two institutions possible over the years.