Youth Red Cross (YRC) is the most important constituent of its mother organization, Indian Red Cross. It is a student movement organized for students in Colleges and Technical Institutions. YRC in Lady Keane College was formed in the academic year 2012 as per the direction of the Indian Red Cross Society, Meghalaya State Branch. The unit is seven (7) years old now and with the initial strength of 31 students as pioneer members, the unit is proud to have more than 100 or more students trained in First-aid from registered organization particularly the Red Cross Society, Meghalaya State Branch, St. John's Ambulance Trainer, District Disaster Management Authority of the state, and ect.,
Youth represent a substantial part of the membership of Red Cross for its humanitarian commitment. Young volunteers can make a significant contribution to meeting the needs of the most vulnerable people within their local communities through Red Cross youth programme. This has been designed to involve young people as much as possible in the movement and its activities not only as workers and also as beneficiaries, but as partners in management. The programme focuses on the following areas:
- Encourage community service through training and education
- Disseminate the seven fundamental principles of Red Cross and Red Crescent movement through activities that encourage the Red Cross ideals
- Promote international friendship with activities that cultivate a humanitarian spirit
- Technical support in the development of youth programmes, fund-raising, identification of material and human resources
- The youth unit aims to have young people recognized by Societies leadership as equal partners who address the needs of the most vulnerable.
The YRC helps the students to inculcate discipline in them and to understand their responsibilities towards the children and the youth, especially the poor and downtrodden.
The Lady Keane Youth Red Cross Unit has three Programme officers and they are Dr. (Mrs). K. Kharshiing and K. Dkhar.
Recruitment and Enrolment of Students
Recruitment and enrolment of students is done every year at the beginning of each academic year preferably during the month of May and June when fully session have started. Enrolment of the students are from both the higher Secondary section and the Degree Section
- Youth Red Cross Report 2021-2022 (Click Here)