Department of Sociology Estd. 2000
It was in view of the vibrant nature of Sociology, the changing needs of society and the emerging aspirations of young minds, that it was a felt need to introduce the discipline in the college. From social inequality and crime, to culture and the media, sociology can be applied to most aspects of life. Students do not get the opportunity to study Sociology at school, hence its necessity in College. (It was only recently that the subject has been offered at the Higher Secondary level in our State)
The Department is dedicated towards creating competent and socially sensitive graduates through teaching programmes and extension activities. It prepares its students for a lifetime of change by developing appreciation of diversity, love of learning, writing and study skills, and knowledge base about human behaviour.
The curriculum lays emphasis on the teaching and learning of general concerns of Sociology as well as the issues of sociological significance. The knowledge of the students has been enriched through various teaching methods (some unconventional), special lectures, seminars, workshops, study trips, exposures to other-cultures, participation in social services and volunteering programmes outside college, etc.
The Department has consistently produced excellent students every year, some within the top ten merit list almost every academic year. 2017 was a record-breaking year with eight toppers, ranging from 1st to 7th positions.
PROGRAMME OUTCOME AND COURSE OUTCOME (Click Here)
- "Career Guidance" for VI Semester students, Sociology Department on 16th June 2022 (Click Here)
- An Online Presentation by Assistant Professor Beena J Sawkmie on January 29th, 2022 (Click Here)
- Career Counselling Programme Career Opportunities in Law July 5th, 2021 (Click Here)
- Study Trip to Sohra on 30th April 2022 (Click Here)
- Tree Plantation along Shillong Golf Course on 3rd June, 2022, as (advance) observance of World Environment Day (Click Here)
- Inter-Department Poster Competition on National Integration (click here)
- One-Day Workshop on Tourism Development in Meghalaya Problems and Prospects, at Women's College. Shillong (click here)
- Seminar on "Contribution of Tribal Heroes in Freedom Struggle." Organized by North eastern Hill University (click here)
- Study Trip to Nongmahir and Rural Resource and Training Center (RRTC), Ri Bhoi, on 27th March 2023 (click here)