Established during the British rule in 1935, Lady Keane College has been a pioneer in the field of women's education in the North- Eastern region of India. With a legacy of over eight decades of eventful existence, the College has to its credit a record of very distinguished service rendered to the cause of uplift and empowerment of women through the spread of liberal education. The institution today, in many ways, is synonymous with the socio-economic transformation taking place in the region and beyond. Our commitment to quality found its stamp of approval from the National Accreditation and Assessment Council (NAAC), Bengaluru, when this apex autonomous agency entrusted with the responsibility of assessing and accrediting institutions of higher learning in the country, had accredited our institution thrice, and the College is preparing for the fourth cycle of assessment.
In 1935, a number of prominent citizens of Shillong convened a meeting and resolved to start an Intermediate College for girls. A managing committee was constituted with Shri A. Das as the Secretary. A bungalow called "Groveside" was acquired. The bungalow housed the College for two years and was the nucleus of all the activities related to the acquisition of a permanent site for Lady Keane College. It was in the first meeting of the Managing Committee at the Groveside on 23 May 1935 that a resolution was passed to open an Intermediate College for the next academic session commencing in July 1935. Subsequently, the College was affiliated to the Calcutta University in 1938. It came under the jurisdiction of the Gauhati University in 1948, and that of the North-Eastern Hill University in 1973.
The founding fathers emphasized upon the essence and quality of education to be imparted by this
prestigious College in the following words: The Institution shall be equipped with the necessary facilities to make our women useful and helpful members of the society' capable of taking part in activities related to the moral, social intellectual, physical and economic development of the community at large.
The College offers four programmes of Degree Courses in Bachelor of Arts; Bachelor of Science; Bachelor of Tourism and Travel Management; Bachelor of Computer Applications. Certificate and Diploma Courses designed to give the students an edge in the job market, are also offered.
The College engages the students in various intellectual, physical and social exercises to promote quality education designed to mould and prepare them for the competitive 21st-century life. Information and Communication Technology (ICT) lays a firm foundation for the Institution's curriculum and Remedial Classes, besides regular tutorials and classroom teachings, provide the learners with an easier accessibility to excellence. A team of highly qualified and dedicated staff has richly contributed to the success of the College, a claim that is validated by both the good results attained every year and the placement of a great body of the Alumni in prominent and prestigious positions in the society. This section is continuously reinventing itself through the initiation of new professional courses and more skill enrichment courses.
The College facilitates both academic and cultural exchange programmes with other institutions for faculty and students. Subsequent interactions on the cultural, academic and institutional levels have opened up vistas of collaborative exchanges intended to broaden and unify the teaching-learning process. The College is equipped with the necessary infrastructure for quality education. It possesses a Library with Internet facilities for both staff and students; an array of subjects, Science and Arts, conventional and professional, under well established Departments for a student to choose from; various support services and amenities; co-curricular and extracurricular activities to promote the holistic development of each student, such as Sports, Debate, Quiz, Cultural Programmes, Tours, Excursions, Rangers, NCC, NSS and Red Cross Unit.
The college was selected in 2018 by the Department of Higher Education, Ministry of HRD, Government of India, to be a recipient of the centrally sponsored scheme under the Rashtriya Uchchatar Shiksha Abhiyan (RUSA), to achieve equity, access and excellence in higher education. The scheme covers core areas - viz. Infrastructure Fund and Equity Fund - that we believe will enrich the existing infrastructure, in the College for a holistic system of education.
- The motto "Excellence with Integrity" is the driving force behind each endeavour of every single member - past and present - of this College, to impact the life of every young woman who wisely chooses to be nurtured and educated by it.
- The College caters to students from all over North-East India, other parts of India and from foreign countries too.
- It provides financial support to students from economically weaker sections through BPL Fund.
- The College- though situated in the heart of the city- has a serene environment with invigorating greenery.